Deer Lake is a vibrant town whose residents love the outdoors, especially in the winter, when there are many things to see and do.
- Take an exciting ride in the Snowmobile Hub of Newfoundland
- Go snowshoeing or cross country skiing at the Humber River Golf Course or along one of our walking trails
- Try sliding with the youngsters!
- Meet some of the locals at one of our neighborhood pubs
- Try your luck at Ice Fishing
- Skating on the Humber
- Visit the Hodder Memorial Recreation Complex to go skating or bowling
- Marvel at the natural wonders of the Newfoundland Insectarium, the only such facility east of Montreal. There are many exhibits featuring insects from all over the world and a live butterfly pavilion.
- Visit the Royal Canadian Legion to see memorabilia from veterans of the Deer Lake area.
The Town of Deer Lake is strategically located in the Humber Valley, at the intersection of the Trans Canada Highway, the Great Northern Peninsula, and just a short distance from beautiful White Bay. Deer Lake is an ideal staging point for all your vacation plans.
Nestled against the shores of the beautiful lake from which the Town derives its name, Deer Lake has outstanding natural attractions for all visitors to enjoy. A 1.9km walking trail along the north shore of Deer Lake offers spectacular views of the lake and its sandy beach.
The mighty Humber River flows into the lake and provides some of the best salmon fishing that this province has to offer. The sandy shores of Deer Lake provide excellent availability for swimming, sailing, canoeing and kayaking. Camping lots are available at the Deer Lake Municipal Park and the Gateway to the North RV Park.
Located adjacent to the Deer Lake Regional Airport is the beautiful Humber River Golf Course, which offers a nine-hole course, clubhouse, power carts, and a driving range. The Newfoundland Insectarium is located in nearby Reidville and features a world-class collection of insect and arthropods as well as a butterfly house.
When it comes to winter tourism, Deer Lake is your hotspot for all the cool activities. From the large network of groomed and backcountry snowmobile trails to winter hiking, snowshoeing, and ice skating, Deer Lake has boundless winter activities.
Deer Lake is also home to both the Humber Valley Strawberry Festival and Deer Lake Winterfest. Continue to check our website for schedules and upcoming events.
The local attractions and easy access to the picturesque Humber Valley, spectacular and historic Northern Peninsula, and scenic White Bay provide opportunity for everyone to have a memorable vacation. Whether you are the rugged outdoors type, thrill-seeker, or prefer a quieter pace, Deer Lake is awaiting your arrival and you will definitely “feel the energy building.”