There are many things to see and do in Deer Lake during the summer, as you can see from the list below:
- Go Bird Watching along the Humber River
- Go Hiking on our walking trails
- Sun bathe and play on our beautiful, sandy beach
- Play a round of golf at the Humber River Golf Course
- Go salmon fishing at the “Tailrace” where oxygenated water from the Deer Lake Powerhouse attract many salmon
- Visit the Newfoundland Insectarium, the only such facility east of Montreal, with its own butterfly pavilion and walking trail
- Take part in Canada Day and the Deer Lake Strawberry Festival
- Visit the Roy Whalen Museum and Humber Valley Craft Shop
- Go camping at the Deer Lake Municipal RV Park or the Gateway to the North RV Park
- Go for a swim or have fun bowling at the Hodder Memorial Recreation Complex.
- Take your pooch for a stroll at our Dog Park, located at the Bennett’s Avenue Recreation Facility.
- Visit the Royal Canadian Legion to see memorabilia from veterans of the Deer Lake area.
- Play a game of beach volleyball at the Deer Lake Municipal Park or the Bennett’s Avenue recreation facility.
The Town of Deer Lake is strategically located in the Humber Valley, at the intersection of the Trans Canada Highway, the Great Northern Peninsula, and just a short distance from beautiful White Bay. Deer Lake is an ideal staging point for all your vacation plans.
Nestled against the shores of the beautiful lake from which the Town derives its name, Deer Lake has outstanding natural attractions for all visitors to enjoy. A 1.9km walking trail along the north shore of Deer Lake offers spectacular views of the lake and its sandy beach.
The mighty Humber River flows into the lake and provides some of the best salmon fishing that this province has to offer. The sandy shores of Deer Lake provide excellent availability for swimming, sailing, canoeing and kayaking. Camping lots are available at the Deer Lake Municipal Park and the Gateway to the North RV Park.
Located adjacent to the Deer Lake Regional Airport is the beautiful Humber River Golf Course, which offers a nine-hole course, clubhouse, power carts, and a driving range. The Newfoundland Insectarium is located in nearby Reidville and features a world-class collection of insect and arthropods as well as a butterfly house.
When it comes to winter tourism, Deer Lake is your hotspot for all the cool activities. From the large network of groomed and backcountry snowmobile trails to winter hiking, snowshoeing, and ice skating, Deer Lake has boundless winter activities.
Deer Lake is also home to both the Humber Valley Strawberry Festival and Deer Lake Winterfest. Continue to check our website for schedules and upcoming events.
The local attractions and easy access to the picturesque Humber Valley, spectacular and historic Northern Peninsula, and scenic White Bay provide opportunity for everyone to have a memorable vacation. Whether you are the rugged outdoors type, thrill-seeker, or prefer a quieter pace, Deer Lake is awaiting your arrival and you will definitely “feel the energy building.”